Thanks to our friends at The Forward for posting such a delicious recipe. I have included the original directions for infusing THC also.
Infused Caramel-Nutella Holiday Doughnuts
½ cup warm water (100 degrees to 110 degrees)
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
¼ cup sugar
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs (room temperature)
2 tablespoons butter, softened (or for THC version, Light-Tasting Cannabutter*)
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
1 cup canna-caramel filling (see below)
Powdered sugar (you can add ½ teaspoon cinnamon for an additional level of flavor)
For Canna-Caramel Filling
½ stick grass fed butter, salted
½ oz of 100 mg Hemp-derived CBD (or for THC, 1/2 stick of Light-Tasting Cannabutter*)
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla bean paste
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
1 dash cinnamon
1) In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, add flower and make a well in the center. Add eggs, yeast mixture, ¼ cup sugar, softened butter and salt. Stir with a wooden or until a sticky dough forms.
3) Pour dough onto a well-floured work surface and knead for 8–10 minutes, until dough is smooth, soft, and springs back when poked.
4) Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover with either a towel or plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 to 1½ hours. Dough should be double in size.
5) While dough is setting, make caramel: In a Medium sauce pot bring butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk to a boil. Add in CBD at the end and bring to boil.
6) Add in heavy cream and stir constantly.
7) Using a candy thermometer, bring caramel to 235º F just under the “softball” stage on the thermometer.
8) Remove from heat and mix in vanilla bean paste, cinnamon and salt. Set aside to cool.
9) Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll it out until it is ¼-inch thick.
10) Use a drinking glass or cookie cutter to cut (24) 2-inch rounds. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise 18 minutes. The rounds should puff up.
11) Heat oil in a large frying pan. Use a thermometer to make sure the oil is 370º F.
12) Sprinkle Cinnamon Sugar mix onto the brown paper lining your baking pan.
13) Using a slotted spoon, carefully slip the rounds into the oil. Fry until golden, about 35–40 seconds. Turn doughnuts over; fry until golden on other side, another 35–40 seconds. Remove doughnuts with slotted spoon and transfer to cinnamon-sugared coated brown paper lined baking sheet.
14) Fill a pastry bag fitted with a #4 tip with the canna-caramel on one side of the bag and Nutella on the opposite side (this will create a swirl affect).
15) Use a toothpick to poke a hole on the side of each doughnut. Fit the pastry tip into a hole, pipe about 2 teaspoons caramel into each doughnut. Sprinkle tops with powdered sugar. Serve warm and enjoy.
*Approximate dosage based on infusing 4 grams of cleaned, dried and decarbed cannabis into 1½ sticks of butter.